Text

Creativity Expressed Through Adornment

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Spring Flair 2013: Artist Elljay Design

Our next artist is one of the founding members of JewelleryWon, Laura Steadman. Laura creates beautiful, original designs in Sterling silver.



     Born and raised in Regina, SK, I have been involved in arts and crafts for as long as I can remember. I love the challenge of taking things and transforming them into other things! I have had many creative interests over the years including cross‑stitch and Hardanger embroidery, crochet, designing and making teddy bears, origami as well as drawing and painting.

     It was after my step-father had taken a jewellery class that my love for making jewellery was born. I was fascinated by the pieces he made! Several years later, as a gift, my mother signed me up for that same jewellery class. Completely hooked, I fell in love with working with silver and it has become my passion! It is fascinating to see how raw metal sheet and wire can be transformed through various methods into a unique piece of art that can be worn!

     I began taking lampwork classes shortly after that and I was captivated by the way glass is transformed from a simple glass rod into a wonderful one-of-a-kind bead. My lampwork beads and cabochons are also used in my jewellery.

     I am a founding member of JewelleryWon and have recently become a Juried Member of the Saskatchewan Craft Council. I continue to take classes and work in my Regina studio.



No comments:

Post a Comment