Text

Creativity Expressed Through Adornment

Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Buds of May - Artist Profile: EllJay Design



EllJay Design by Laura Steadman

I was born and raised in Regina, Saskatchewan.  I have been interested in arts and crafts all of my life.  I have done cross stitch, petit point, Hardanger embroidery, crochet, painting, origami, as well as designed and made teddy bears.  I love working with my hands.


I became interested in jewellery when my step-father took a class at the Neil Balkwill Civic Arts Centre  here in Regina and I was fascinated by the things he made. Years later, as a gift, my mother signed me up for the same class.  I was instantly hooked!!  It always amazes me how a simple piece of sheet silver or wire can be transformed by applying a seemingly endless range of techniques into something beautiful and wearable!  Shortly after that, I began taking Lampwork classes to learn to make my own glass beads.


I have taken most of the jewellery and Lampwork classes offered at the Neil Balkwill Civic Arts Centre and I will continue to take classes and work in my studio to see where my ideas can take me!

No comments:

Post a Comment