Text

Creativity Expressed Through Adornment

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Sparkle! Artist Profile: DP Creations Jewellery and Design


                 



My name is David Danial Peters and I am the artist behind DP Creations Jewellery and Design. Though Regina born, I now live in Grand Coulee, a mere 10 min west of Regina (towards Moose Jaw). I have been around jewellery for much of my life as my mom led me shopping from one jewellery store to another. As I always say… her hands made Liberace’s look bare! Naturally I became just as enamored with jewellery as she was. 

I have worked at Birks, Paris Jewellers, and I was in management at  Ben Moss Jewellers. Over the years I tired of the cookie cutter designs from “Production” stores and decided I could create unique jewellery! I started my jewellery schooling at the Neil Balkwill Centre taking Jewellery Classes 1 and 2 along with Enameling and Casting . As continual learning and education is important to me, I applied and was accepted to the Ashworth College’s  Jewellery Design and Repair course, a one year course, which I completed in seven months with honors. After receiving my Certificate from Ashworth, I start creating unique pieces of jewellery for family, friends, and vending at the local Arts and Crafts shows. I have been learning, growing and evolving my own unique style of Jewellery ever since.

I create a mixed variety of jewellery styles. I endeavor to be unique and artistic, but my years in the industry are echoed in my more production-oriented pieces. I work mostly in Sterling Silver, but am not opposed to working in Gold! I also work with Copper and a bit of brass. I love to use gemstones and always try to stay true to the quality of true natural gemstones, yet I do use Lab created ( grown crystals) in order to provide my customers with a wide variety of colours and more unique types of stones while still keeping within a reasonable cost.
If asked what inspires me I would have to say everything and nothing all in one. I seem to find some inspiration in nature and how natural things evolve as in my “Melt” pendants but I also love the rigid shapes and mechanical designs of our modernist society. I do treasure historic and antique styles which also echo in my creations.

The thing I most like about designing jewellery is that each person’s perspectives of what jewellery is, or should be like, is different. Therefore I can create jewellery how I see it, with hopes of connecting it with a like-minded person. This way I do not limit my designs by pre-existing views!

            

 

No comments:

Post a Comment