Text

Creativity Expressed Through Adornment

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Buds of May - Third Artist is Myrna's Jewellery


Jewellery handcrafted by Myrna Allan


Throughout my years of living in Regina, I’ve been a regular attending all the various nearby craft shows and purchasing unique gifts for family and friends. I never thought I would eventually be someone that would have a table and sell my own wares.

I’ve always enjoyed creating different things with my hands, however, that was put on hold when I was deeply entrenched in work life. When I retired from the provincial government, I knew that I wanted to do something creative once again.

In 2007 I registered for my first Jewellery class at Neil Balkwill Civic Arts Centre. I’ve taken numerous classes and learned many different techniques. Today I continue to take classes to improve my skills and incorporate many of the learned techniques into my Jewellery.

I really enjoy working with the various metals (silver, copper, titanium, and niobium) to make and design my jewellery. Currently I’m enjoying the wonderful colours I get when anodizing titanium or niobium. The brilliant blues and purples are my particular favourites.

Throughout the time at the studio I have met many wonderful people. It’s been a great way to be creative and socialize at the same time. The social aspect of meeting others that are also creating is just what I wanted to fulfill my retirement.

In the past whenever I needed a pick me up or just wanted to treat myself I’d buy a new pair of earrings. Consequently, I enjoy making mostly earrings but I do make pendants and some bangles/bracelets.

Most of my jewellery is fairly petite and delicate, with simple lines. I believe my pieces are unique to themselves and no two are exactly the same, something is always a wee bit different.

I hope you will enjoy wearing my jewellery as much as I enjoy making and designing the one of a kind pieces.

It is not my intention to make a living by selling my jewellery but to enjoy creating and cover my material costs. I try to keep the prices down so that everyone can enjoy a new piece just like I have done over the past number of years. Everyone needs to treat themselves! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment