Text

Creativity Expressed Through Adornment

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Buds of May - Twelfth Artist is EllJay Design




EllJay Design by Laura Steadman

I have been involved in arts and crafts of all sorts for most of my life.  I love working with my hands and have done cross stitch, Hardanger embroidery, crochet, Origami, designed and made teddy bears, painting, and other things too.

Years ago, my step-father took a jewellery class and I was impressed by the things he made.  I wanted to take the class too but put it off for a long long time.  When I finally took the class I was instantly hooked!  

I am continually fascinated by the way a piece of metal can be transformed through many different techniques into something beautiful and wearable.  I have spent the last few years setting up my own studio and taking classes.  I work primarily with Sterling silver but will sometimes use copper and semi-precious stones and beads.  I have also taught a small class that involves fusing fine (.999) silver into a ring.  I was born and raised in Regina where I will continue to take classes and work on designing and creating new and unique pieces of jewellery.

No comments:

Post a Comment