Text

Creativity Expressed Through Adornment

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Buds of May - Ninth Artist is Myrna Allan



Jewellery handcrafted by Myrna Allan

Throughout my years of living in Regina, I’ve been regularly attending all the various nearby craft shows and purchasing unique gifts for family and friends.  I never thought I would eventually be someone that would have a table and sell my own wares.

I’ve always enjoyed creating different things with my hands, however, that was put on hold when I was deeply entrenched in work life.  When I retired from the provincial government, I knew that I wanted to do something creative once again.

In 2007 I registered for my first Jewellery class at Neil Balkwill Civic Arts Centre.  I’ve taken numerous classes and learned many different techniques.  Today I continue to take classes to improve my skills and incorporate many of the learned techniques into my Jewellery.

I really enjoy working with the various metals (silver, copper, titanium, and niobium) to make and design my jewellery.  Currently I’m enjoying the wonderful colours I get when anodizing titanium or niobium.  The brilliant blues and purples are my particular favourites.

Throughout the time at the studio I have met many wonderful people.  It’s been a great way to be creative and socialize at the same time. The social aspect of meeting others that are also creating is just what I wanted to fulfill my retirement.

In the past whenever I needed a pick me up or just wanted to treat myself I’d buy a new pair of earrings.  Consequently, I enjoy making mostly earrings but I do make pendants and some bangles/bracelets.

Most of my jewellery is fairly petite and delicate, with simple lines.  I believe my pieces are unique to themselves and no two are exactly the same, something is always a wee bit different.

 I hope you will enjoy wearing my jewellery as much as I enjoy making and designing the one of a kind pieces.

It is not my intention to make a living by selling my jewellery but to enjoy creating and cover my material costs.  I try to keep the prices down so that everyone can enjoy a new piece just like I have done over the past number of years.  Everyone needs to treat themselves!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment