Text

Creativity Expressed Through Adornment

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sparkle! - Sixth Artist is D.P. Creations

My name is David Peters and I am the artist behind D.P. Creations Jewellery and Design. I was born and raised in Regina, Saskatchewan but now live in Grand Coulee just 8 minutes outside of Regina.

As I grew up my mom was a great inspiration to my affinity for jewellery because, as I always say, "her hands made Liberace's look bare".

My love of jewellery led me to work in retail jewellery stores such as Birks, Paris Jewellers, and Ben Moss. Over these years I began to explore silver smithing and produced simple pieces for family and friends. After being in the retail industry I longed for more unique jewellery, rather than just cookie cutter designs, so I decided to explore my own designs believing that other people might feel the same.

I do find that my jewellery designs still have a classic style, mimicking the type of pieces I knew from the retail industry, but I am more readily exploring my artistic side as my confidence and knowledge of working with jewellery grows. My favourite type of jewellery I create is "Melts" - molten metals flowed of sterling or gold which create one-off designs and patterns. My favourite melt to date, I have dubbed "Ode to the Grinch" due to the old man's face I see in the sterling. I accented the "Grinch" with 14K yellow gold bezels and almandine garnets to create a lovely pendant. I love big heavy pieces but as of late, I find myself experimenting more with finer pieces such as filigree designs and forever my daunting nemesis - earrings!

I have always believed that education is fundamental to any endeavor, so I started with a few courses at the Neil Balkwill Centre. I went on to complete a certificate of Jewellery Design and Repair from Ashworth College (with Honours). Now I am happily venturing out into the Art Festival scene as D.P. Creations to explore and share my love of jewellery with others.

I find inspiration for my jewellery designs both in the past and modern trends. I try to weave the old and new together to create pieces that hold a classic edge yet be fashionable enough for today's consumer.



No comments:

Post a Comment