Text

Creativity Expressed Through Adornment

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Sparkle! Artist Profile - Surrayah's Jewels


Surrayah’s Jewels
My name is Elaine Gill and I’ve lived in Moose Jaw all my life. I started making jewellery about 10 years ago when I won a strand of gemstone beads. It was love at first sight and there has been no turning back!

I started simply stringing; learning things as I proceeded, picking up new ideas, techniques and awesome new supplies!

I love working with gemstones in as many ways as I can.…with wire, seed beads and incorporating them into other designs! There is something very special about handling these stones. It is the stones that inspire me.

I have tried a lot of different techniques but there are many more I’d love to try….time permitting!

I’ve been asked many times where the name ‘Surrayah’ came from and the answer to that is that it is a stage name used by me years back when I was Belly Dancing. I loved the name so much that I kept it. At that time I was making costumes with all of the sparkle that is Dance and this love for all things colourful and shiny has spilled over into my jewellery making….a natural progression, I think!

I’d say that my style is very eclectic because I have tried so many things but I find that creating something special with the earth’s gemstones to be very peaceful and calming.

More of my creations are available at
 http://www.surrayahsjewels.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment