Text

Creativity Expressed Through Adornment

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Buds of May Artist Profile: Rock'n



Rock'n

Rock'n by Tara Garratt

Stones have always fascinated me. I gathered stones when I was a child to look at and to feel (I understand they were hard on the washing machine and the dryer). I think they are beautiful in their natural form; after polishing, I think they are amazing. I get extreme pleasure from taking stones that others may step over, walk away from or show in a cabinet and turn them into pieces of art that people display on their persons. The pieces of jewellery that people choose to wear, are expressions of who they are. The pieces that I make are an expression of who I am. Each piece I make has a small part of me in it.

People always ask how I decide what should go together. To be honest, I hold the stone and believe that I somehow just feel what should happen next. I never decide on what to do with a stone until I hold it and feel it. While I am holding the stone, I understand what needs to happen next, and what should go with it. i really can't explain how the decision occurs, it just does.

The part I enjoy the most about designing jewellery is seeing the difference between the rough stone and the finished piece of jewellery!

No comments:

Post a Comment