Text

Creativity Expressed Through Adornment

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Sparkle! - Eighth Artist is Charming Betties


I'm Brenda. It's my mom, Betty, who is the inspiration and name behind my Charming Betties. It started with a picture of her in her mid twenties…peeking from the window of my dad’s car (I wish I could tell what kind of car it was, but I haven’t a clue!). That was one of my first charms and to say she was anything but tickled pink to wear herself on a chain would be a big lie. Today she’s as beautiful, vibrant, and definitely as unique as she was back then!


I’m a self taught artist, though like many of us I still have trouble calling myself an artist...I prefer to think of myself as having a creative mind that just won’t stop thinking of new ideas! I’m always willing to learn and explore new possibilities. I love old things...slightly worn... pre-loved... and often quirky and I'm happy to have found a medium where I can recycle these in combination with new items to create something totally unique, fun, happy... and whimsical too! These days I’m dabbling in some metalwork, inspired by a couple of jewellery classes I attended. Even here, I tend to look for the worn and battered. I’m not quite there yet, but I’m working on something new…be it collaging a bettie, hammering a piece of silver or throwing a ball of clay (yes I’m trying that as well), I can’t imagine I’ll ever stop!

No comments:

Post a Comment